Senior Software Engineer
Merit America is a non-profit that has been named by the New York Times as “a glimpse of the hybrid future of training programs for the disadvantaged.” Our fast and flexible programs are designed to work for underemployed and unemployed adults - who can learn while they balance work, family, and in current times, social distancing. We combine on-demand online learning with coaching and peer support (delivered in-person or virtually) to create the most effective, scalable model in the field. Our goal is to build the most effective, large-scale education-to-employment program in the country, and we have the ambitious goal of reaching 10,000 learners annually and driving $1B in aggregate wage gains by 2024.
In the past several months, more than 40 million Americans have filed for unemployment benefits. Today’s challenge is about more than getting Americans back to work: it is about creating pathways to higher-paying, more resilient careers in order to build a more equitable future as the economy recovers. Now, more than ever, we must rally behind the tens of millions of American adults who are unemployed or stuck in low-wage jobs in pursuit of family-sustaining, recession-resilient careers.
At Merit America, we believe that technical platform has the capability to help our low wage workers learn in-demand technical skills and transform their careers and lives. We aim to build and enable new solutions to address key needs and pain points, allowing us to increase Merit America’s impact and scale,
To that end, Merit America is looking for a Senior Software Engineer
The primary mission of the Senior Software Engineer is to build an end-to-end learner experience that feels trustworthy, accessible, and personal.
The Senior Software Engineer will report directly to Leith Abdulla (VP of Engineering) and work primarily with other engineers, designers and product managers in the Product team within Merit America.
The responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineer will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work on full stack projects for both the learner and coach experience
- Integrate internal and external platforms, data sources, and tools
- Instrument and build infrastructure to support experimentation and data analysis
- Participate in code reviews and build out our development environment
- Shape the engineering and product culture at Merit America.
- Serves as a technical lead on medium to large sized projects
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and other engineers
- Investigate and resolve complex software bugs
- Help plan, technically direct, and implement new features across the product
Preferred Skills and Competencies
At Merit America, we believe that if you can excel in the job, you should get the job - so we hire for skills, instead of specific experience or education requirements. Below are the skills that are relevant for thriving in this role:
- Accomplished at writing high-quality code to build services, APIs, and web applications
- Comfort in developing apps, integrating other services and writing plugins
- Deep knowledge and practical application of data infrastructure and data-intensive workflows.
- Experience using system monitoring tools and automated testing frameworks
- Keen interest in building something from the ground up.
- Strong belief in being an engineer first but have a perspective on product strategy and design
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- 3-5 years of software project ownership / leadership
- A history of building relationships across functions
- Passion about software and ability to translate that passion for less technical audiences.
- Reputation of being scrappy and resourceful but not afraid to ask for help when you need it.
- Knowledge and experience in a few programming languages
- Knowledge and experience of relational databases
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfort with the speed of change that comes from working at an early-stage startup.
- Energized by the potential of making lasting impact and committed to our organizational mission.
- Proven history of living within our values
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for our collective success
Compensation, Benefits and Start Date
This position is full time: 4 days/week
Career Development Opportunities: You’ll have an annual personal development stipend and education reimbursement plan to use towards workshops, books, or traditional classes.
Benefits: You’ll enjoy best-in-class benefits.
- 4-day work week
- Unlimited vacation time
- Flexible remote work policy
- Office closure during 10 federally recognized holidays
- Two-week office closure at the end of the year / start of the new year, inclusive of the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability
- 4 months paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Flexible Spending Account – pre-tax health & dependent care
- Health Reimbursement Account employer-funded Benefit Card
Start Date: summer of 2022, preferably by July 15
To learn more and apply, visit https://meritamerica.applytojob.com/apply. Include a thoughtful cover letter with your application. Candidates must be fully authorized to work in the US. Merit America does not offer employment visa sponsorship. Due to the high volume of candidates for every role, we unfortunately can only respond to candidates who move onto the next steps in the process
What to expect in the process:
Building for Equity
Building an inclusive, high-performing team that is diverse across lines of personal identity is integral to our success and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
This means we do not discriminate against any job applicant or employee because of their race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
We actively strive and evolve to develop and maintain workspaces that are fully inclusive. We encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Still excited about our work? You can learn more about our work in this video we made with our founding partner, Google.